Tuesday 30 October 2012

Week 2 - 'Ceroc Dancing'



Tonight’s evening of dance we were to learn three new skills, plus a skill I learnt last week (see picture below). The name of the dance move is placed on the board to help us learn. I feel the purpose for today’s session for me was to build more confidence, by acquiring some new dance skills to add to the previous ones from last week.

The occupation Identity
The roles and routines are the same each week. The man leads, the woman follows which we both follow the tutors, who explain and demonstrate the moves. How I identify myself at the moment, is a bit timid, and quite focused (as distractions confuse me). How I have observed others, is to be very confident in the way the person holds there head up high, shakes their hips and really work well with certain partners. There to tend to be people there that look like I, in the fact that we are beginners and are learning. Obviously our identity in dancing will grow over the next few weeks, as those who are new, are exploring their identity. Also I have come to learn that other members of the dance community dance in other dance communities, therefore establishing a very strong and confident dance identity.

Technical Aspects
Some materials I observed may be the way you dress. There isn’t a dress code, but what I have observed the ladies like to wear high heels, and possibly a skirt or dress. For myself, I dress comfortably, but when I have more confidence I may try some heels. As an individual, materials and equipment is not essential, the instructors provide the music and the instructions, so we quite happily dance the night away.

Personal Reflection

So tonight was my second evening of 'Ceroc Dancing'. The usual routine happened in moving around in the circle, except this week we learnt three new skills and repeated one from last week. What I have learnt from this week is to let the man lead, which in turn helps my timing for the next move. At times with the men that are learning, I found myself leading, but this was to help them out, as I like to help people learn. Tonight I felt I had more confidence, and I am working on flicking my hip more. There is still plenty more skills to be learnt, and I hope to remember them all next week. My feelings at this stage, in continuing with this occupation are strong, but it does depend on other commitments in my life, as to whether I can continue with this class.
 
This picture is how each move were presented on a white board.












No comments:

Post a Comment